Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Weary Bones

I have been feeling the cumulative energy loss from repeated chemotherapy over the past week, and a few days ago I was also feeling pain, which I hadn't experienced in a while. We called Dr. Segota's nurse, and we decided it was time to up my pain medication which solved that problem. It is two weeks after my latest treatment, and the major side effects have worn off except for the tiredness. We had "Fake Mother's Day" on Sunday because most of the family was out of town on real Mother's Day (if you started reading around Christmastime, you'll realize my family has a thing for fake holidays), and I woke up so tired I spent much of the day on the couch while we enjoyed family time. It took a lot out of me just to speak above a whisper. Everyday is not that severe, but I am feeling more overall fatigue.

Bob and I have planned a trip to North Carolina this weekend to see the Biltmore Mansion, which is something I've always wanted to do. I am excited for the vacation, but we've decided it's the last major out-of-towner we'll be planning for a while since my fatigue has increased. Bob has reserved a wheelchair for our tour so I can sit most of the day and relish any special treatment that comes my way because of it!

My sisters and I are trying to finish up the loose ends of settling my parents' estate, which is necessary, but difficult. I still miss them everyday, and sometimes I can feel an actual pain in my chest because of how hard this is on my heart. I have been reminded, though, that I pass on a great deal of my parents' legacy to my kids and grandkids all the time without even realizing it. Yesterday Annabelle wore one of her new Grandma-made outfits to school and when everyone complimented its adorable design, she responded like a well-trained parrot, "Thank you, my grandmother made it." It was a page right out of my own childhood as I remembered my mother drilling that phrase into me, "Thank you, my mother made it."

I've included a picture of Annabelle playing with her Doodle Bug in the outfit so you'll understand why it is so important that I receive credit for the style!

No comments: