Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fall and Recover

Yesterday I officially had my first meltdown, and I was reminded why I chose Dr. Segota as my oncologist. I had expected to be nauseous and tired after my first chemo cycle. I also expected the localized bone aches from the Neulasta. But I didn't expect all the other symptoms that sprang up over the weekend. To name a few, I had a constant headache, sensitivity in my hair follicles, major pain in my feet, night sweats, back aches, and a constricting pressure throughout my whole body. On top of this, I hadn't seen my grandbabies in ten days! I left a message for Dr. Segota's nurse Monday morning in tears over these unanticipated problems. I got a call minutes later asking me to come see the doctor in an hour. I had originally met Dr. Segota during my father's last few days in hospice two months ago, and I was struck by her compassion. It's inspiring to see someone in her very serious profession who is more than just business. She takes a personal interest in her patients and does her work with gentle understanding of their journey. She worked me into her morning appointments and I was able to vent, cry, and ask my questions without ever feeling foolish. Just being able to talk to someone who could supply knowledgeable answers for me was incredibly therapeutic. She gave explanations for most of my symptoms, and encouraged me to take the pain medication she had prescribed. I had been relying mainly on Tylenol for my problems because I was afraid if I took the stronger medication, it wouldn't be as effective down the road when my pain becomes worse. Dr. Segota and her nurse explained to me that my current prescription is very mild and that I should mainly be concerned with my comfort. As my treatment continues, my pain medication will become stronger as needed. Amazing that the medical professionals thought of that before I did!

Now that I'm following their advice, I feel much better. I was able to go to Bible study last night where the group prayed for and encouraged me. I also went to my art class this morning where I painted and got more therapy talking with good friends. My hand is much better, especially since I am taking pain medication. Thank you for your prayers.

My daughters are making sure I eat well this week! Mackenzie has decided to learn to cook, and since Shannon is the expert in the family, she came over to help Mackenzie through her first dinner Monday night. It came out delicious! The two of them have already planned another homemade meal for Thursday. Then Erin called to let us know she'll be cooking for us Wednesday evening. Who knew I had raised so many aspiring chefs? Here's to good eating!

I was touched this evening to receive a card and gift from the faculty at Westminster Academy where two of my daughters went to school. I haven't been in close contact with many at Westminster since my kids graduated, so this gesture from them was unexpected and very stirring. I am moved that I am still in the thoughts and prayers of people I have known at all different times in my life. That kind of caring reminds me of Christ's faithful love and rejuvenates my strength for the road ahead.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jayne,

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. Your perspective not only let's me see God's faithfulness and goodness in our toughest of times, but it is also important for me as I am learning about medicine. It's nice to step back and think about WHY I care about helping people, and your story about your doctor reminds me that ultimately people are the most important part of being a doctor. You continue to be in my prayers.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Your own son told me they,"I tell my patients, the Navy doesn't give medals for pain tolerance." He said it is important to take your pain medications regularly in order to stay ahead of the pain curve. I am sure he can explain it better to you when he gets back into port.
Suzi

Anonymous said...

Jayne,

I am so happy you are able to use your hands and continue to creat your art. And can I say Congrats to Kenz for learning how to cook. I'm so proud of her! Thank you for updating us on your progress and guiding us with our prayers for you and your family. I hope you get to see your grandbabies soon, I know how much comfort and joy they bring you:)

Ragan

Anonymous said...

I think of you every day and wish for the pain to go away - it gets worse before it gets better. It's the chemo. And you will start to feel better as time goes on. Take the pain medication as long as you are lucid and feel like yourself. They gave my father to much and he made no sense at times. I love you and pray for you everynight.
You produced the worlds greatest person and I thank you for that. Mackenzie is truly an incredible girl and you are the reason.
Love to you Always,
Rachel