Friday, July 18, 2008

Makeover Madness

With summer in full swing, I am feeling back to my normal self. Everyone asks how I'm feeling, and now about a month after my last chemo, I am glad to say I'm doing great! I have to monitor my energy a bit, but I have the feeling again that I would never know I had cancer if I hadn't seen the test results at my oncologist's office.

I don't know how we've lived in this beautiful south Florida community for almost ten years without joining the pool, but my kids finally bothered me enough to make us members. Now many of my days are spent by the pool watching Annabelle alternate between practicing her backstroke and freestyle, and pretending to be Ariel the mermaid. It didn't take long for my grandchildren to become indignant that Gram was observing from the shade of an oversized umbrella, so I bought my first swimsuit in fifteen years so I can join in on the splashing wars.

The new suit was just a small article in the wardrobe overhaul Mackenzie and I implemented soon after my energy was restored. We overtook Talbots and a few of my other favorite stores to buy some stylish clothes for my new post-steroids body. I've mentioned before that in order to inhibit the mal-effects of cancer treatment drugs, patients are administered steroids in combination with chemotherapy. It caused the shape of my body to change quickly, so I've spent the past few months in sweatsuits and pajamas. But now that I feel so much better, I don't want to dress like a sick person anymore. "What Not to Wear" is one of the staple shows Mackenzie and I like to watch on our stay-in days. Much like the pattern of the show, we got rid of the articles in my closet that hadn't left their hangers in years, and started from scratch. I looked fabulous at lunch today with my dear friend Patsy! And I'm excited to wear my new outfits any chance I get, so if you feel inclined to invited me out for a meal too, I promise not to disappoint!

I've been looking forward to the chic new ringlets that I knew were going to start growing in anytime now...Well, I've got some fuzz, but it sure isn't any stylish hairdo. Right now the top of my scalp feels a lot like a baby chick. It's fluffy and light, but steadily getting thicker.

Apparently, Bob was ready for a new look too. His Lincoln is on its last legs, so in true retirement age man form, he bought himself a flashy sports car. Bob and I drove up to Orlando this weekend to pick up his new convertible Mustang GT. We had a great time cruising around with the top down, and his work friends have been anxious to see the new hot rod Bob's been bragging about, but it looks like they're going to have to keep waiting. Since we got back to Fort Lauderdale, it's been raining on and off, and Bob won't chance taking his new baby out with the possibility of a thunderstorm. It looks fantastic sitting in our driveway though!

So medically speaking, there's not much to report. I have a routine appointment with Dr. Segota next week, but I'm doing wonderfully and enjoying this time of feeling healthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A new BATHING SUIT! Boy are you the braveist woman I have know or what? I still wear my old timers for my swishing and splashing because I suffer from "Fear of Dressing Room Mirrors" syndrome; where even the tinest bit of celluite turns bright blue and every roll oozes out. I am certain Bill would like to see me in a suit from this decade but what with dashing to and from the house and wrapping myself mummy style in the biggest beach towel on the planet he wouldn't see enough of the suit to justify the expense. You have my profound respect...you go girl! (Do you think you still might have chemo brain?) Ha Ha..I love ya' Suzi