Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Breaking News and More!





It's a big week at our house, and I have somehow stumbled into a rare period of quiet in the home, so I'll use it as long as it lasts to catch everyone up on all the latest news. Steve, Dawn, and Emma are back in town, and it is incredible the amount of noise three little cousins can make. I finished the matching dresses I've been making for Annabelle, Addison, and Emma to wear at Emma's bug-themed birthday party this weekend, so the girls have been tearing around the house in them in 10 minute installments. We try not to keep the dresses on them long enough to get dirty before the day of the party, but they need some time to admire themselves in the mirror each day. They look like three little butterfly princesses in them.

Last Monday I underwent all the tests again to make sure I can go off chemo. I spent the full day being poked and prodded with IVs, shots, a bone scan, and a CTscan. On Thursday morning, I have an appointment with Dr. Segota where we will hear the results of these tests. Hopefully, the conclusion will be that the chemo has slowed my cancer growth enough that I can have an indefinite break from these harsh treatment cycles. I would appreciate your continued prayers on my behalf for these results.

I'm also seeking God for wisdom about a sensitive issue for me. It has been a little over 6 months since my diagnosis, where I was told I would probably live shortly over a year. I'm wondering if I should ask Dr. Segota for another projection at our upcoming appointment. I know it is just an educated guess, but Shannon has given us some exciting news that makes me curious about the time I have left. She and John are expecting another baby! We are thrilled to welcome this gift into our family, and you all know how crazy I am about grandchildren! I want to know if I can count on holding, smelling, and kissing this new blessing, or if I should prepare to possibly depart before I can say hello. I'm sure it wouldn't make any major difference in my behavior, but I'm just curious to know. And then if God grants me more time than Dr. Segota's prognosis, it'll be a blessed bonus. On the other hand, I may not ask her at all. Of course there are many stories of cancer patients who have outlived their mortal prognosis by years. This is because God had already chosen the very hour they would die, regardless of what their doctors estimated. Psalm 139:16 says, "All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." No terminal diagnosis can change what God has already decreed, but I think a medical estimate of my time left will help my family continue to prepare for my departure. In fact, as I'm writing my thoughts, I think I've decided I'd like to know. I will likely ask Dr. Segota for an updated projection at my appointment, and if I do, I will tell you her response.

Continuing the news from earlier, and I'm sure Shannon will protest this request, but I would love for all of you to send in suggestions for the next "A"-name to add to the series in her family. We don't know the sex of the baby, so we are open to all submissions!

Here are some pictures of my kids with their kids at the zoo and water park adventures this week:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean suggestions !! It is a hands down decision..A for ADAM , male A for ADAM, female

Pam Farmer said...

Hi, That is so exciting!! I pray for you to bounce that new baby on your knee! We are really looking forward to being with you all on Bob's birthday! May God bless the results of your tests this week. Peace and love to all, Richard and Pam

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new Grand baby! COngratulations to all of your family! Love, Katy Peterson--Erin's friend

Anonymous said...

babynames.com--
Ava, Abigail. Andrew, Anthony, Ashley, Alesis, Ariana, Aiden, Amanda, Alyssa, Alexander, Amber, Amy, Alina, Adrian. :-) Have fun!!