Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mixing business with pleasure

Well, New Yorkers may be unhappy about the bleak weather in Manhattan the past couple days, but we are loving every minute of it! Who comes from Florida to New York in the winter to wear shorts? It's been in the low 20s, and today we had snow! My face is thawing from the walk home from the Theatre District as I write this!

We got to our hotel on 50th and 3rd Monday afternoon and discovered we were just down the street from the original Smith & Wollensky. I've heard so much about their world famous steaks, and since it was Mackenzie's birthday, we had the perfect excuse to splurge on dinner! We were the only family there in a sea of businessmen. The environment was charming, and the food didn't disappoint - especially the complementary chocolate mousse cake and song for the birthday girl! We got to bed early last night after a little exploring to be rested for the appointment with Sloan-Kettering this morning.

The hotel is few steps away from Sloan-Kettering, and my appointment was at 11:00am. Bob, Mackenzie, and I were already here, and Erin was able to hop a last minute flight from Florida and meet us at the office. I was impressed by the friendly workers, efficiency, cleanliness, and overall order throughout the building. Dr. Oettgen was a sweet white-haired man with a bow tie and a German accent. He reviewed my tests with us and gave me a brief physical. Then he went to look over my x-rays and came back to talk with my family. Basically, he agrees with Dr. Segota on my treatment plan and the steps we've taken thus far. His major comment was that he strongly suggests I get a biopsy of my spine. The MRI and PETscans of my spine raised suspicion that the cancer had spread to my bones. However, both the radiologist at Holy Cross and at Sloan-Kettering could not state with certainty that what is showing up in these tests is cancer. It is just highly probable. Dr. Oettgen feels strongly about this biopsy because it is the only way to get a definitive answer about what is going on in my vertebrae. If there is no cancer, it could be Stage 3B, which, as I've said before, offers a possible chance of healing or at least a longer life expectancy. The side effects of treatment for Stage 3B would be much more severe, but it would be worth it since I would have a chance of survival. So we didn't necessarily learn anything new, but we did get a strong recommendation for a spinal biopsy. We called Dr. Segota's nurse to set up that test as soon as possible. So again, my chemo treatment which was rescheduled for February 19, will probably be postponed until we learn the results of the biopsy since it could change the way we go forward.

Overall we had a good experience at Sloan-Kettering and I was comforted by their friendly manner and Dr. Oettgen's willingness to sit with us until all our questions were answered. We headed to a New York deli for lunch and made plans for the rest of our stay. Our "must-do" list covers the front and back of a page, so we should be busy! We hopped the subway down to Macy's and checked out two whole floors of shoes! A couple natives noticed we were already making a fashion statement ourselves since Erin, Mackenzie, and I were all wearing bright red winter coats. I had bought them for each of us - can you guess my favorite color? We certainly stood out from the black trenches all around us. Madison Square Garden was just around the corner where the Westminster Dog Show was going on. We got 2 free goodie bags containing "Dogs Rule" skull caps. Bob and I put them on to survive the chill. I kept laughing when I saw how silly he looked in that hat until Erin pointed out I looked just as ridiculous.

All Mackenzie wants to do while we're here is pack in the Broadway shows, and luckily she has a good friend in the city who was able to get us discounted prices for Curtains, a musical starring David Hyde Pierce (Niles from "Frasier"). It was cute and clever and we all enjoyed it. We opted to walk home and enjoy the snow, and now we're wiped! So we're heading to bed and looking forward to making a dent in our "must-do" list tomorrow.

When you get a vacation to Manhattan in order to get a second opinion, I think it becomes more than just a "necessary evil." This trip is a blessing. Wish you all were here! :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jayne,
I heard that you were fighting cancer and after pushing for your address from Toni Thomas and Joan Cline, was able to get to your blog. I don't know if you know that my past husband, Bill, had brain cancer (geoblastoma multiforme) which was discovered when we were living in Toronto. Sloan-Kittering was one of 3 brain cancer centers in the US at the time and he elected to have an experimental radiation-implant procedure done there in 1988. I totally agree that they are extremely nice - and very knowledgable! They are also very supportive even after you leave - I would periodically get calls from them as to how Bill and I were doing _ much more compassion and interest than I ever expected! Bill's original life expectancy prognosis was 6-18 months. Something in what he was willing to try helped as he lived for 7 years after being diagnosed. While it was a very difficult process for us to go thru (as I am quite sure yours is,) I've always believed that everything happens for a reason - even the most difficult of life's challenges. I know Bill's diagnosis (which came 3 months after we married!) caused a fundamental change in me as it seemed for the first time I was intimately aware of what is really important in life - and it began to guide everything I did. I have often been told that I changed fundamentally and I know that my kids are much more focused on family, serving humanity and the environment than they might have been had they not experienced the closeness of Bill's illness. From your blog it appears that you are also experiencing the beauty of family even in the darkness of your disease. You need to know that you also have a far-reaching support network of friends - like myself - who care deeply for your health and whose prayers you will be in! We missed you at our last Antigo 1966 class reunions - and hope to see you at the next one! (Hard to believe it will have been 45 years!!!! How did we get so old?!)
Jayne, take care of yourself, keep smiling - and do keep in touch! I can be reached at pkcolwell@yahoo.com.
Your classmate
and Chi Omega sister,
Pat (Bullis) Colwell

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if I should address you as Ms. Curran or Jayne.:-) This is Janelle (Jarvis) Kruger, Erin's friend from middle school. Christine informed me of your situation. I have enjoyed reading your blog, your attitude is wonderful and over half the battle. I am an RN and was an oncology nurse for over 8 years. It is nice to see you are doing your homework and having fun at it. If you have any questions, or need to vent, I will listen. I miss taking care of oncology patients, they all taught me so much,but I got tired of all the other stuff. You take care.
Janelle
janellekruger@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Jayne,
Im so glad that you are enjoying NY, I laugh when I think about the time we spent together in the Big Apple. I know that you will be celebrating the anniversary of your birth, so let me be the first to tell you how Happy "Birth" Day!
If I'm late with the wish just write it off as my not so good memory!
Love,
Pat, Nick too!
xo's

Unknown said...

Good to hear that you are all enjoying the city. If you see Young Frankenstein, let me know how it is. Just wanted you to know that are you still in my prayers.

Aaron

Unknown said...

"...you are still in my prayers," rather

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayne,

You don't know me. My son, Chris Fahmie, is a friend of Mackenzie and is at UF as a musical theater major. Chris absolutely adores your daughter. He has asked us all to pray for you and your family. I must tell you what a testimony you are for how to live with faith in our Lord. Your outlook is just incredible. May God Bless you and give you continued strength in this journey. I am a teacher. My best friend is undergoing a similar journey which began this past summer with surgery for colon cancer. Your strength has helped me be there and help her through. When I get down about her illness and the toll that treatment has taken on her, I read your blog and feel a renewed faith that God has something great in store for her. God Bless you, Jayne.

Debbie Fahmie

Anonymous said...

NY sounds fabulous!!!! I'm glad you had so much fun. Erin sent an email and she had a blast too. You are in our prayers. Sincerely, Katy P.

five in six said...

So glad you all got to enjoy NYC for a few days! Got an email from Erin saying how much she enjoyed it as well. We are praying for you. Your strength and faith are an incredible testimony!
Paula VandenOever