Thursday, November 13, 2008

I have good news and bad news...

The good news is, a sample of my tissue was inspected for the clinical trial, and I was not disqualified! The bad news is, I have not qualified either. Dr. Segota's nurse Debbie called last week to tell us that there was not enough tissue sent to the test lab from my three previous biopsies to determine whether or not the specific mutation they are looking for is present. You can imagine my disappointment after waiting weeks for news and then receiving no answers. Debbie was sympathetic and regretful to be the bearer of bad news, but she asked me to come in for an appointment on Thursday where we could discuss the options that were left.

So this morning Bob, Mackenzie, and I headed down to Holy Cross Hospital to hear our choices and make some decisions. Like Debbie, Dr. Segota was disappointed and apologetic that the lab could not offer us conclusive results. It was a discouragement for all of us, but now we had to look at our options and choose the one we felt best about.

The first option would be to undergo another lung biopsy where they would make sure they gather enough tissue to receive a clear decision from the clinical study. Then we would again have to wait the two weeks while the tissue is tested and find out whether I qualify for the experimental treatment. Of course, the numbers are still the same. After examining the sample tissue, only 10% of candidates actually qualify for the study. But of those qualifiers, 70% of cases see their tumors shrink by about 25%, and life expectancy is significantly increased. I had to ask Dr. Segota to repeat those percentages a few times before I could actually follow the information!

The alternative is to return to chemotherapy using a different drug called Alimta. I could begin this treatment immediately. In 20% of cases, patients see their tumors shrink by 25%, and in 40% of cases, they see their cancer stabilize for about 2 months.

Of course, this isn't a decision with a clear right or wrong answer. There were numerous factors to consider, and pros and cons to each option. But when I turned to Bob and Mackenzie it was clear we were on the same page. I've never been a gambler, but I have always been a risk taker, and I think the risk to go a couple more weeks without treatment, undergo another biopsy, and send in my tissue for a long shot at the clinical trial is a risk worth taking. If the lab results show that cannot participate in the study, I will resume chemo with Alimta. But I would like to know if I qualify for the most promising option.

My lung biopsy is tomorrow at noon, so please be praying for that procedure and pray for the answers we will receive from it about my future treatment! Ultimately, God is in control and as we pray to Him, I know He will reveal His will for my journey.

No comments: