Saturday, September 6, 2008

Taking the City by Storm (Again!)









Well the party's over. My daughters very tactfully pointed out that it has become hard to tell the difference between Bob's legs and mine. Apparently, God is giving me back the hair I lost tenfold! Time to bite the bullet and start shaving again!

One of the places I never grow tired of visiting is New York City, so over Labor Day weekend, when the workers of the family had a few days to spare, we jetted off for five days of fun! Bob and I brought the three girls - Erin, Shannon, and Mackenzie (unfortunately the Navy had other plans for Steve) - and had a vacation I find myself wishing I could repeat. It's not often we get to see Shannon apart from her toddler twosome, so it was particularly special to get some quality time with my middle daughter. Especially because this was her first time in the Big Apple! We made sure she got the full experience, from Lady Liberty to Tavern on the Green to Broadway. And she did all of it while 5 months pregnant and never voicing a complaint about the miles we covered on foot. In fact, I was very thankful that both she and I held up so well during such a busy adventure. I had plenty of energy to enjoy seeing my family take in the endless spectacles that fill the bustling island. Before we left for our excursion, Annabelle was curious about our destination, so we described to her the city filled with towering skyscrapers and enormous flashing lights. The next day, as she and her mother drove into downtown Fort Lauderdale with its dozen or so buildings just over 10 stories, Annabelle's eyes lit up and she gasped, "Mom! Look! New York City!" We took a few pictures from the top of the Empire State Building while we were gone to give her a better idea of the heights we were describing. All in all, the trip was perfect. Don't you wish we never had to return from vacations?

We had to come back though, and it took me a couple days in bed to recuperate. The fight against my cancer does occasionally get the better of me. My physical abilities have noticeably decreased which has been the cause of a few tears. Beyond that, fall is a bittersweet time of reflection for me. This Sunday our church is having a commemorative service for our minister, Dr. Kennedy, who passed away a year ago. The anniversary of my mother's death is also approaching. And it was about a year ago I remember getting the call that my sister Jeannie had suffered her first stroke, marking the beginning of the end in her battle against esophageal cancer. I am so thankful that these three people who meant the world to me all had personal relationships with Jesus Christ, and I can be confident of a reunion with them in heaven. But regardless of the sweet reward I know they are experiencing, deaths are always sad for those of us left behind. This was the most difficult aspect for me to accept in coming to terms with the possibility of my own impending death. I hate to think of leaving my children and grandchildren behind. I hate to think they won't have a matriarch for advice and to share in their future joys. But I know that the God my family serves will continue to be with them, so I am comforted to know they will never be without love and guidance. In 3 John 1:4 the Bible says, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." I know God has helped me to raise four God-fearing children, and that is truthfully my greatest joy.

But as I spend time in reflection each fall, I not only consider the losses, but the life-changing blessings the autumn months have brought. Bob and I will be celebrating our nine year anniversary in a few days! And before we head off to Naples for the occasion, I am busily sewing birthday dresses for Annabelle and Addison - two more of the blessings fall delivered. I need to get them both finished before Annabelle's mermaid-themed party this weekend, and Addison's Mickey Mouse-themed party a few weeks later. And speaking of Shannon's girls...have I mentioned she's going to have another? That's right folks! Whittle down your list of A-names to be feminine gender specific! We're always looking for suggestions!

I am so thankful for those of you who continue to check-in with the blog even while I've been less consistent in posting. I can't tell you how much it bolsters my spirit to know I have constant allies to support me. In fact, I have specific prayer requests I'd like you to bring before the Lord with me. I have been suffering from neck pain that limits my mobility and causes chronic discomfort. Dr. Segota said she doubts it is related to the cancer in my spine, but gave me suggestions to alleviate the pain, and asked me to monitor it. Over the past few weeks, the aching has increased which I will mention in my appointment with her this week. She may have to refer me another doctor for this problem. I am asking you all to pray that my neck pain disappears, either by God working through medicine or on His own. I also have a prayer request dealing with my future. Please join me in praying that God allows me to live long enough to spend time with my new granddaughter after her birth in January. You all know the pride and joy my grandbabies bring me, and I spend so much of my time thinking of this new one I have yet to meet. I want to hold her and smell her and kiss the top of her head as she lays on my chest. I want to be able to tell her how much Jesus and Grandma love her. So please fuse your prayers with mine in this expressly sensitive request.

That is all for now. Thank you for keeping me in your prayers and on your hearts. God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! The pics from the trip look like you all had such a fun time! I got to see even more on Erin's facebook account and I have to admit I was really jealous. Now Shannon has officially been to a "big" city! lol. As always I will be keeping you and the family in my thoughts and prayers. I am probably coming home this weekend and if so will definitely be stopping by the big birthday bash on Saturday. See you soon!

Love You!
-Laura

Anonymous said...

Dear Jayne,
They say, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"..hoping the "Big Apple" gives BIG results! I so enjoy your writtings and I'm sure everyone that reads them is inspired by your words. I do believe you should be published. Know that you are constant in my thoughts and prayers. Take care my friend.
Love,
Pat Bellissimo